[omniORB] IDL to Python language mapping update?

Luke Deller ldeller at iress.com.au
Wed Apr 27 14:28:54 BST 2011

Let me clarify what I meant for this point:

> - Module initialisation is different in Python 3, notably Py_InitModule is
>   gone.  The pattern suggested in the porting HOWTO for supporting both
>   Python 2 and 3 works great:
>
>   http://docs.python.org/py3k/howto/cporting.html#module-initialization-and-state

One aspect of module initialisation dealt with by this HOWTO and the
corresponding PEP 3121 involves moving module state from global variables
into a structure, so that the same module can imported separately by multiple
interpreter instances within the same process.  This looks quite hard to do
for omniORBpy and I did not attempt it at all.  Ignoring this just means that
omniORBpy doesn't work with multiple interpreters, which is not too bad.

The relevant pattern that I was referring to in the HOWTO was that part
of the example which was exclusive of module state handling: to define a
PyModuleDef structure, call the PyModule_Create function, and return a
module pointer from the module init function, all for Python 3 only
(protected by #if directives).

Regards,
Luke.
Important Note
This email (including any attachments) contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, distribute or copy this email.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of IRESS Market Technology Limited.

It is the duty of the recipient to virus scan and otherwise test the information provided before loading onto any computer system.
IRESS Market Technology Limited does not warrant that the information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.