[omniORB] IDL to Python language mapping update?

Brian Neal bgneal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:09:46 BST 2011

Hi Duncan,

I'm glad you chimed in here.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Duncan Grisby <duncan at grisby.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 18:51 -0500, Brian Neal wrote:
>
>> I have a short list of things off the top of my head:
>
> Sorry for taking ages to reply to this. A lot of these things are
> actually already done, or under way.

Does this mean you are working on an implementation or a draft spec of
the language mapping?

Again, if you need help with the spec, whether it is reviewers or
writers, I'd be willing to help.

> I think the biggest challenge with Python 3 support is how to structure
> the source. The changes will be sufficiently pervasive that I don't
> think it will be sensible to have a single source for both Python 2 and
> Python 3 support, which will lead to the risk of divergence between the
> implementations. I'm open to suggestions if anyone's looked into it.

I haven't looked at the source, but are you talking about the Python
code, or the C++ or both? I've seen many recommendations these days to
make all new development in Python 3, and then use the 3to2 tool to
automatically create a Python 2.x code-base.

Thanks Duncan,
BN