[omniORB] Backwards compability (v302, v4.x.x)

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Apr 26 19:55:29 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 11:06 +0200, Niklas Thörne wrote:

> We have an old Windows DLL floating around, that was created using
> omniORB-302, and we now have to interface with
> this DLL. The problem is that I cannot get omniORB-302 (or 305 for
> that matter) to compile under our current HW/OS-setup,
> so we might need to migrate our server part (which is running under
> Solaris 10) to a newer omniORB (prefably 4.1.5),
> so my question is:
>
> is omniORB 4.1.5 backwards compatible in such a manner that we
> (without rebuilding) can interface with our legacy DLL?

It sounds like you are asking whether a client using omniORB 3.0.2 can
talk to a server running omniORB 4.1.5. If that's the question then yes,
they work together, just as two completely different CORBA
implementations work together.

If you want to link them into the same executable then there's very
little hope because there will be loads of clashing symbols.