[omniORB] A question about stringified IOR in case of IPv6

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Oct 27 15:37:30 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 00:15 -0700, Hung Ta Viet wrote:

> As you know, stringified IOR is a string that contains string in hexa
> decimal e.g.

Just for clarification, an IOR is an Interoperable Object Reference. It
the the way all object references in CORBA are transmitted. The
stringified IOR is just a hex string form of the same thing.

> My question are:
> 1.. Are the square parentheses '[' and ']' also encoded and included
> in the stringified IOR? or what?

No, the address in the IOR does not have the square brackets.

> 2. We have some classes in which we can get the hostname of an IOR:
> class IIOP {

[...]
> Does the host of struct Address contain square parentheses?

No.

However, having said that, some CORBA implementations, for example some
versions of Weblogic, do incorrectly store the square brackets in IORs.
The latest svn snapshots of omniORB therefore ignore the square brackets
if they're there.