[omniORB] omni_thread join problem - leads to core dump

Bruce Visscher bruce.visscher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 17:55:47 BST 2010

Christoph,

This is pretty easy.

    void start(void);
    // start() causes a thread created with one of the constructors to
    // start executing the appropriate function.
    void start_undetached(void);
    // can be used with the above constructor in a derived class to cause
    // the thread to be undetached.  In this case the thread executes the
    // run_undetached member function.
    void join(void**);
    // join causes the calling thread to wait for another's completion,
    // putting the return value in the variable of type void* whose address
    // is given (unless passed a null pointer). Only undetached threads
    // may be joined. Storage for the thread will be reclaimed.

so, you tried to join a detached thread.  You can't do that. What you
basically do with a detached thread is somehow "signal" it to shut down
then trust that it will.

(Having said that, I really dislike the word "undetached".  I would have
preferred that they used "detached" vs "managed" or something like that.
Of course, maybe the terminology came from the POSIX standard...)

HTH,
Bruce