[omniORB] RE: multi-tier architecture with different endpoints

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 23 19:46:56 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 17:14 -0700, Burton, Craig wrote:

> I suppose another way to ask this question is this:  does omniORB
> provide a way for a single process to publish end points on unrelated
> IP addresses?

No, it doesn't. You can certainly perform IOR manipulation tricks to
change the endpoints in the object references you export, but that
doesn't change the endpoints that are being listened upon. If your
intention is to actually restrict access, as opposed to merely hiding
it, changing endpoints in IORs won't help at all.

Listening endpoints are managed on a per-server basis. The normal way to
restrict things in the way you suggest is to use multiple processes
where a facade process provides the "public" interface and acts as a
gatekeeper to features of the backend process.