[omniORB] Question Concerning Corba Server

Martin Baschnegger 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Fri Jan 22 16:17:05 GMT 2010

On 22.01.2010 14:57, Ekrem Karaman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need the functions of an application which runs with omniORB. But the
> only thing I got are the idl files and information about the server host
> and host port.
>
> The server files are given in dll Form.
>
> I need to to write a client side application that schould use the server
> side functions.
>
> Does this seem possible ?
>
> I got few experience with Corba, but as far as I know I need also some
> kind of Implementation Code of the server files.
>
> Is it possible to write to use the server side options of a program just
> with the given idl files ?
> And if yes, how ??

Honestly I don't quite get what parts you're supposed to code and what
parts are already provided. (Server-DLLs what?)

With CORBA it roughly works like this:

1.) file.idl : Contains Interface definition (Interface only)
2.) From this file omniORB generates C++ files, so called stub-files
that will be used by the server application AND by the client application.
3.) When you need to write the client application, you need to use the
C++ classes (see the documentation which ones exactly) that are present
in these generated C++ files. Then *you* implement all the
functions(methods) that are originally defined in the IDL file.

If you want to program with CORBA and C++, please get the book "Advanced
CORBA Programming with C++" by Henning/Vinoski, otherwise you will waste
a lot of time.

br,
Martin