[omniORB] Experience with dotnet (C#) and omniORB?

Jérôme Carretero cJ-omniorb at zougloub.eu
Tue Dec 14 16:07:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:56:48 +0100
"Martin B." <0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at> wrote:

> I therefore wanted to ask any omniORB users if they could share (recent)
> experience of interfacing native C++ CORBA with dotnet(C#) applications.

Hi Martin,

I've been using IIOP.Net and omniORB together for about 2 years.
.Net (C#) side for the clients.

I use the IDL2CLS generator provided with IIOP.Net, to generate usable DLLs directly from the IDL files.
The examples provided with IIOP.Net are quickly tweaked to provide seamless IPC if you have an IDL file and use IDL2CLS.
I had problems with string encodings, and that's why I always pass strings as Any objects and deal with encoding later.

Naming is supported, callbacks are supported, I did not use events.
If you don't do cryptic stuff, I don't see how wrapping unmanaged code can be simpler than this...

Regards,

--
cJ