[omniORB] Optimizing call signature + performance

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Mon Dec 13 15:49:21 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 08:40 +0100, Martin B. wrote:

> How large would I make these packets to transfer? When working on a
> TCP/IP socket I'm (logically) just "streaming" data, or don't I? I
> vaguely remember there being a maximum message size (maybe the term is a
> bit different) for TCP/IP messages on Windows as well as some omniORB
> setting relating to a max msg size ... ??

omniORB's default maximum message size is 2MB. You can change it with
the giopMaxMsgSize parameter.

Since you want to stream data, it is possibly best to use oneway
messages to avoid the latency of waiting for replies to come back from
the server. The risk with oneways is that when the first message comes
in, a thread starts processing it; while it's still processing, the next
message can arrive, and omniORB might dispatch another thread to handle
it. There's an extension to omniORB that lets you prevent that, and also
to enable Nagle's algorithm that can automatically batch data at a TCP
level, which may or may not be helpful for you. Look in
src/lib/omniORB/connections/README.txt for some details.