[omniORB] Optimizing call signature + performance

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Tue Dec 7 07:23:19 GMT 2010

> How large would I make these packets to transfer? When working on a
> TCP/IP socket I'm (logically) just "streaming" data, or don't I? I
> vaguely remember there being a maximum message size (maybe the term is
> a bit different) for TCP/IP messages on Windows as well as some
> omniORB setting relating to a max msg size ... ??

There are maximum sizes, and I have not ever run into them. My systems
have configurable telemetry streams built on top of CORBA Event
Channels, typically with some header info and sequences of doubles or
images. The images can be 128x128 or 256x256 doubles and can have
several in a transfer packet. Past systems have sent even more in a
packet. My point is that if you design for "reasonable sizes" of
hundreds of kilobytes or less, then you will be unlikely to run into
limitations. If you do run into a limitation then you can configure your
system to work around it. You can search the omniORB and TAO mailing
list archives to see discussions of configuring for large packet sizes.

hth

                                - Tom