[omniORB] Too many open files

Antonio Beamud Montero antonio.beamud at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:49:04 BST 2009

Hi all:
I've a CORBA client inside a daemon process in python.It's invoked in a
loop every few seconds. The code is something like this (in a simplified
way):

    while True:
        orb = CORBA.ORB_init(sys.argv, CORBA.ORB_ID)
        f = open('/tmp/server.ior')
        obj = orb.string_to_object(f.read())
        f.close()
       try:
            info = obj.get_gaps()
       finally:
            orb.shutdown(False)
            orb.destroy()
       time.sleep(5)

All of this works ok, but the number of sockets open by this process is
growing until "Too many open files" appears...

If the Corba server uses UNIX sockets, all works fine, the number of
pipes is constant, but, using TCP/IP sockets, the problem arises.

How can I tell the orb to release all the sockets?

P.D: I'm using omniORB 4.1.3/python-omniORB 3.3

Greetings