[omniORB] omniORB development moved to Subversion

Allan Wind allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com
Sun Sep 13 22:26:42 BST 2009

On 2009-09-13T21:02:07, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> Because I use Subversion in other things, so I understand it well. I've
> never used git. What am I missing?

Michael covered a lot of ground already.

I use `git grep` frequently as it so fast on a hot cache, and
`git bisect` is an interesting way to go about fixing defects.
Working offline with support for cheap branching is really
addictive.  git log is much faster than svn on our repository.

Each repository is a backup and I like how you can interface with
git passively over ssh for my own projects (no networked servers
other than ssh).  You can run a git server like what you are used
to with svn, or outsource that to the github or gitorious of the
world.

git works nicely as a client of an upstream svn repository.  This
allows you to use git on the client side to get your feet wet,
and then you switch the server later if you so desire.  It has
been a while since I used anything else to interface with svn
upstream.

The python guys went with mercurial over git, and I am sure that
is a good choice too.  Even if you keep omniorb on svn I
encourage you to give git and/or mercurial a whirl.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC