[omniORB] Omniorb 4.1.4 PowerPC compilation problems

Jens Villadsen jenskristianvilladsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:53:07 BST 2009

I made a total rookie mistake. As I am used to develop in the MS Windows
environment I forgot all about transfering files in linux without a
file-extension. The reason why I got segmentation fault was because when I
ftp'ed files with filezilla, filezilla does ASCII based transfering by
default when the files does not have an extension. After doing binary
transport on binary files there was no problems. So problem is solved :)

However, I have stumbled upon another problem with omniORB. My development
machine is runnning Windows 7 Professional x64 (not cracked, not Release
Candidate, just a regular plain Windows 7 Professional - I am a master's
student so I get MS stuff for free through MSDNAA) and I am using Visual
Studio 2008. I have had success compiling and running most of the examples
except the ones that uses the omniNames service. I have verified that the
binarys (eg3_impl.exe from examples) and the omniNames run without errors
under XP so it must be either a security issue or a registration-database
issue in Windows 7. I have tried to run it in a console as administrator but
without luck. Do you have any suggestions?

By the way, may I suggest that the README.win32.txt is updated on line 205,
206 and line 209 where it states that one should use the lib-files from what
I believe is omniORB 4.1.0. Doing a search-and-replace with "410" to "414"
would probably correct it.

Regards Jens