[omniORB] omniidl does not generate code - I'm mystified...

Kevin Bailey ke-omniorb at retriever.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 14 07:25:23 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:14:30AM +0100, Frank Goenninger wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> being a bloody beginner I am trying to get omniidl to generate code from
> the following IDL file:
>
> -X-X-X-
>
> #ifndef __FLEXIO__
> #define __FLEXIO__
>
> #pragma prefix "flexio.goenninger.net"
>
> module FlexIO
> {
>   typedef long            rc_t;
>   typedef unsigned long   operation_t;
>   typedef unsigned long   data_t;
>   typedef unsigned long * data_ptr;
>   typedef unsigned long   device_id_t;
>
>   interface LowLevelIO
>   {
>     rc_t select_device( in device_id_t device_id );
>
>     rc_t read( in  operation_t operation,
>                in  data_t      data1,
>                in  data_t      data2,
>                out data_ptr    rtn );

CORBA hasn't added pointers since I last used it, has it ?
If not... How would CORBA implement them on platforms
without pointers ? What good would a pointer be to a completely
different process on a completely different host ? Different
architecture perhaps.

Instead, just use "out" parameters to implement returned data
(as you seem to have done.)

rc_t read(...
          out data_t rtn);

Or maybe an out array if it will return multiple words.

Cheers