[omniORB] RootPOA and omniINSPOA together

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Nov 10 14:30:21 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 14:58 +0100, Urban Purkat wrote:

> I would like to connect two systems. Therefore the first system needs to
> connect to the second system's name service (NS2) to resolve objects.
> Since omniORB does not allow me to have multiple orb instances this is
> not doable.

Why do you think it is not doable?  You're right than you can have only
one ORB, but that has no bearing on how many naming service references
you can use. The naming service is just a collection of CORBA objects,
so you can refer to as many as you like.

That said, the naming service is designed to be a centralised mapping of
names to object references, so you'd often run a single naming service
in an environment and store all the name mappings there, rather than one
naming service per machine.

> I thought I can implement fixed references for some servants and resolve
> objects from a predefined string.
> In order to do that I introduced a secondary POA (omniINSPOA).
[...]

I'm very confused by what you're trying to achieve. The omniINSPOA is
there to support the use of corbaloc URIs, which you normally use
instead of the naming service, not as well as it. (corbaloc is part of
the Interoperable Naming Service specification, hence the INS in
omniINSPOA.)

If you are using the naming service, you definitely shouldn't tell your
server to listen on port 2809, since that's the port omniNames will
listen on.

What exactly are you trying to do?  Why do you feel the need to use
omniINSPOA?