[omniORB] Client Hangs on Invoke

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu May 28 11:35:31 BST 2009

On Tuesday 12 May, jlou512 wrote:

> I am experiencing a strange problem with remote method invocation between my
> C++ client and Java server application. I am using Java's orbd as the name
> service. Prior to upgrading to Java 1.6 from 1.5, the C++ client had no
> trouble calling methods from the server. After the upgrade, the client hangs
> after making the invoke call using the request. If I kill the server, the
> client is no longer blocked and continues execution.  Has anybody
> experienced something similar so far? The 1.6 upgrade also included some
> thread changes on the server-side (a new background worker thread), but I
> didn't think that would cause an issue with omniORB. The implementation of
> the server RMI interface has not changed.

I don't know what the problem is, but it's definitely something at the
server end. The trace shows omniORB correctly issuing a LocateRequest
message to the server. It just doesn't receive a reply.

If the problem is that the server doesn't like the LocateRequest, you
can tell omniORB not to do it by setting the verifyObjectExistsAndType
parameter to 0.