[omniORB] strange behavior of '_this()' method

Michael omniorb at bindone.de
Tue Mar 31 13:10:28 BST 2009

>> Quite simple. It's pretty
>> much like every piece of code, people will make mistakes, as a project
>> leader/manager it is your responsibility to define best practices and
>> setup a QA process.
>

> I disagree -- it turned out that _this()'s behaviour is quite twisted... One
> thing when developer screws with nicely designed framework or library and
> another one -- when he steps on rakes of something like _this(). (pun
> intended :) )
That's why I think somebody has to maintain best practices/wrappers - to
avoid having everybody learn every twisted detail and have to do every
mistake on their own (mistake doesn't mean somebody is a bad developer,
there are just non-obvious problems, and the CORBA specification is not
what I would call a nicely designed framework).

> No, if they are experienced and tools they are using well-thought out and
> well-designed.
That sounds a little naive to me, but maybe I'm just a cynical person :)

> :-) Sorry, it won't work here -- we have a very large in-house product that
> is under constant development for last 10 (or maybe 15?) years. About every
> month or two we have a new release. People come and go regularly, and I am
> just one of them. We are saved by the fact that product is single-threaded
> (on purpose) and not many want to touch communication layer (that uses
> CORBA)...

Hmmm, now I'm really curious what product you're actually working on...