[omniORB] strange behavior of '_this()' method

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Fri Mar 27 18:21:44 GMT 2009

Kevin Bailey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:33:26PM +0000, Nigel Rantor wrote:
>> ICE - http://zeroc.com/
>
> That's just CORBA done the way if Henning were king, right ?

I think that's somewhat of an oversimplification.

Especially seeing as one of the things he said he would not do is
OBV...and now they do OBV...but, anyway.

One of the things that is nice about the mapping is that they have had
the benefit of seeing what worked and what didn't with CORBA, especially
w.r.t the language mapping for C++.

Also, C++ has moved on a lot since the original CORBA mapping, and it
shows when you compare the two. For example, the STL is used for
sequences, as you might expect if you didn't know how old the CORBA/C++
mapping was.

So, yes and no. Let's not oversimplify.

Disclaimer - I have never used Ice on a "real" project yet, I always
provide my employers with the honest answer and when they see the
license fee Ice vs no license fee FOSS CORBA I get to use CORBA...

Regards,