[omniORB] back-end to serialize AST to file?

Tim Black timblack0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:40:32 BST 2009

Has anyone written and tested a back-end that simply serializes the AST into
a file?

I am on Windows, and I want to be able to debug my python back-ends using
eclipse or some other debugger. Point is, I need to be in control of
starting the python process I want to debug. On windows, omniidl.exe starts
the python process that invokes my back-end, so I cannot debug. What I want
to do is sever my code-generation back-end from the omniidl.exe process by
visiting the AST using a single PickleVisitor which just pickles the idl
syntax tree and writes it to file. Then I just run (and debug!) a new python
script that reads the file, unpickles the AST, and passes it to my
code-generation back-end.

Anyone already done this? See any problems with this plan?

Thanks,
Tim