[omniORB] running omniidlrun.py on windows

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Jul 2 10:44:24 BST 2009

On Friday 19 June, Tim Black wrote:

> I'm interested in running the full python version of onmiidl (front- and
> back-ends) on windows, so I can run it under the python debugger. (This helps
> me understand a new project.) In the win32 distribution of omniORB-4.1.3, I'm
> seeing <top>/src/tool/omniidl/python/scripts/omniidlrun.py, which appears to
> be the entry point for the full python version of omniidl. This fails to
> import _omniidl, ("Could not open IDL compiler module _omniidlmodule.so")
> which I am assuming is a library for the front-end.
>
> If I build omniORB from source using Cygwin or MSVC, will I get this required
> _omniidl module library so I can then successfully run omniidlrun.py, or am I
> barking up the wrong tree and omniidlrun.py is only expected to work on Linux?

omniidl is build in different ways on different platforms. On Unix
platforms, it's either a python script or a shell script that invokes a
Python script, and the C++ bits of omniidl are compiled into a Python
extension module.

On Windows, omniidl is compiled into an executable rather than a Python
extension. That's mainly so omniidl can be invoked as omniidl rather
than omniidl.py. You could hack the makefile in
src/tool/omniidl/cxx/dir.mk to build it as an extension rather than an
executable.

By far the easiest way to do what you're talking about would be to do
your development on Linux...