[omniORB] "Caught an unexpected Python exception during up-call" on Fedora 10

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Feb 20 11:16:48 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 February, Tim Allen wrote:

> Some time ago, I inherited maintenance of a poorly-implemented CORBA
> server that runs on omniORBpy 4.0.6. The current production environment
> is CentOS 4 and the current developers' workstations are running Fedora
> 6. Since neither distribution packages omniORB, we've been using the
> packages from http://opensource.nederland.net/ quite happily (although
> I wish it didn't conflict with pyorbit required by GNOME, but I guess
> that's an issue with the official CORBA spec).

[...]
> omniORB: Caught an unexpected Python exception during up-call.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./server.py", line 10, in echoString
>     raise Example.MessageIsEmpty
> Example.MessageIsEmpty: Example.MessageIsEmpty()
> omniORB: throw UNKNOWN from pyServant.cc:566
> (MAYBE,UNKNOWN_PythonException)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

The problem is that Fedora 10 has Python 2.5. In Python 2.5, exceptions
were changed to be new-style classes. Older versions of omniORBpy
assumed they were old-style classes.

You'll have to update to omniORB 4.1.3 and omniORBpy 3.3 to be able to
work with Python 2.5.

> A note on versions: Last time I tried getting our software working on a
> new platform, I have a recollection that I tried 'the latest version'
> and everything fell in a heap; at any rate, our internal wiki records
> that our internal software requires version 4.0.6/2.6 exactly.

Well, I'm afraid you'll have to choose either to use Python 2.4 or
earlier, or to use omniORB 4.1.3 / omniORBpy 3.3.

Why do you need to use those specific ancient versions?