[omniORB] Java, Python, CORBA

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Feb 11 15:18:23 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February, Jakub Moskal wrote:

> I wrote a server in Java and clients in Java and Python. Clients
> connect and invoke methods without any problem when the object
> reference is retrieved from a string. When I use 'orbd' and
> NameService only the Java client connects, the python clients fails
> with "omniORB.TRANSIENT_ConnectFailed". I init the ORB in python with
> parameters "  ["-ORBInitRef", "NameService=corbaname::localhost:900"]
> ". What is the port on which 'orbd' runs its NameService? I tried some
> other ports but all gave me the same error.

Java's orbd doesn't support the interoperable naming service, so you
can't use a corbaname URI to resolve it. The Java ORB uses a proprietary
bootstrap mechanism invented by Sun. Luckily for you, omniORB supports
it too. It should work if you use these arguments instead of the
-ORBInitRef:

  -ORBInitialHost localhost -ORBInitialPort 900

> My second question has to do with creating new objects. I wrote an
> object factory on client that returns new objects which implement my
> interfaces, e.g.

Everything you've done looks fine, so I don't know why you'd be getting
such a strange problem. It's definitely nothing to do with the omniORB
end, though.