[omniORB] [Q]report server architecture with omniOrb

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Feb 10 17:07:43 GMT 2009

On Thursday 5 February, "V S P" wrote:

> I think I am finally able to distill my question into something I can
> describe one sentense :-)
>
> does omniOrb support non-blocking remote calls (from client-to-servants)
> and non-blocking calls to functions of the  Servant from within that
> servant
> (using POA if that's relevant for the question)
>
> if yes, is there example/description I can start looking at?

The usual way to do what you describe is a simple scheme with a
callback. There's no need to use exotic things like asynchronous calls
and so on.

The client submits the request which triggers an application thread to
do the work, then immediately returns. When the server is finished, it
calls the client back to indicate that it's finished.

There's an example of callbacks in src/examples/call_back.