[omniORB] HPUX 11.31 on Itanium 64 bit mode Bus Error

pneuste phil.neustedter at Mckesson.com
Wed Feb 4 08:12:00 GMT 2009

The problem I am trying to describe appears to be a data alignment problem
that could be caused by either by the compiler or by the allocation
mechanism within omniORB for the cdrStream class. Itanium processors running
in 64 bit mode require all data to aligned on 8 byte boundaries but it
appears that the CdrMarshal macro inside of the cdrStream.h attempts to
store data using a pointer that is set to store at a 4 byte boundary. To be
specific it occurs at the code line 418 (within the >>= operator definition
for a Ulong. I am using the revision 1.1.4.17 of cdrStream.h that is part of
omniORB-4.1.1. This is part of an application hthat has been successfully
run for about 5 years using the HP PA-Risc hardware platform and since HP
has terminated that hardware platform it is imperative that this problem be
resolved ASAP.