[omniORB] omniORB slow transfer when clientCallTimeOutPeriod != 0

Igor Lautar igor.lautar at hermes-softlab.com
Tue Aug 11 16:45:39 BST 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 14:04:35 Igor Lautar wrote:
> I remember playing with maxSocketSend to increase transfer speed (it helped
> a little bit), but have not read the comment in description of
> socketSendBuffer (duh).

Word of warning of other users of omniORB in windows...

We have not altered maxSocketSend from default. On windows, it seams to be set
to 131072 where socketSendBuffer is set to 16384, which triggers extra delay
on non-blocking sockets.

So if someone enables call timeouts, it will immediately be hit by this
windows bug.

One could do:
1) report warning to user where such combination of settings is found on
windows platforms (where non-blocking socket bug is present)
2) update clientCallTimeOutPeriod documentation to include word of caution for
windows users

Regards,