[omniORB] omniORBpy and Python 3.0

Andrew Edem andrew at kaxis.us
Tue Sep 23 15:31:29 BST 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrot
> Viktor Kerkez dixit:
>
>> Is there any plans for porting omniORBpy to Python 3.0 when it
>> comes out?
>
> As far as I was taught, the Python CORBA language mapping mandates
> using
> old-style classes, which are (AFAIHH) to die with Python 2.6
> already. So
> this would be pretty much impossible, unless a nōn-standard way were
> be chosen. Interesting question ☺

Are you sure that old style classes are to be removed from 2.6? I
can't find any reference to that in the release notes.

Regardless, though, they are definitely gone in 3.0. However, I can't
find any reference to either new or old-style classes in version 1.2
of the language binding, anyway.

But, even so, it brings me to wonder why that would make a difference,
aside from changing all classes to inherit from object.

I think that the biggest problem would be the syntax changes that
would require a fork of all the python code in omniORB, and that could
get difficult to maintain.

A very interesting question indeed :)

-Andrew