[omniORB] Problem with any.to_any in omniORBpy and DynAny in libomniDynamic

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Sep 16 13:18:54 BST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August, Michael wrote:

[...]
> I could track down the problem to the following case in python:
> serializer.anyToXml(any.to_any({'a':None}))
>
> After inspecting what's going on, I figured that to_any does create
> sequences and structures containing members of type TC_null (which
> IMHO should not happen, instead they should put in an any "containing"
> TC_null).

I'm not sure it's so wrong to have members of type TC_null. It's a bit
odd, but I don't think there's anything that makes it explicitly
illegal. I have Python code that makes use of sequences of nulls. I'm
therefore tempted to leave any.to_any as it is...

[...]
> Now for the second issue: Why does the server side crash? (It only
> crashes for structs, so I will limit my analysis on those):

That, however, is definitely a bug. There were two related problems.
First, it didn't support structs / sequences of nulls (which I think it
should -- it already supported void). Second, when it threw the
exception to complain about the typecode, it corrupted itself and blew
up.

I've fixed both issues in CVS.

Does that change address your problem?