[omniORB] corbaloc and encoding

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Nov 19 14:55:56 GMT 2008

On Thursday 6 November, Antonio Beamud Montero wrote:

> If I try to call a remote method from a service that returns a list of
> wstring names, the next exception raises:
>
>  BAD_PARAM: CORBA.BAD_PARAM(omniORB.BAD_PARAM_WCharTCSNotKnown,
> CORBA.COMPLETED_YES)
>
> In a older post, Duncan Grisby reference this problem when you are using
> corbaloc to get the object reference, but...
>
> I'm using a omniorb client and server and they by default are using
> nativeWCharCodeSet = UTF-16, why not use this defaults?

Because the CORBA spec says that if an object reference has no encoding
information, the default is ISO-8859-1 for strings and no setting for
wstrings.

> or, is now posible to specify the enconding in the corbaloc?

You can't!  You should use the corbaloc to reference a bootstrap object
that returns the real object reference for your service. That way, the
object reference will include full code set information and everything
will work.