[omniORB] Links between naming contexts - problem/challenge

Carsten.Agger at tietoenator.com Carsten.Agger at tietoenator.com
Wed Nov 19 10:43:36 GMT 2008

Hello to all, I'm a new user of omniorb and am trying to make sense of the way links between naming contexts seem to work, compared to the OMG Naming Services spec.

Specifically, if you link the root of one naming context into some point in a second naming context, I'd expect you to be able to access its nodes transparently through the other naming service. But some experiments with omniNames and nameclt seem to indicate otherwise.

As a starting point, I start to name servers on the same computer, using different ports. In order to give each name server some content, I start the program eg3_impl from the echo example in the manual.

So, we start with too name services each with its own context looking like this:

ns1:

/
 test.my_context/
                 Echo.Object

ns2:

/
 test.my_context/
                 Echo.Object

If I insert the root context of ns2 directly below the root context of ns1, using the name "ns2", I'd expect to be able to access the contents of the ns2 context by using paths like

/ns2/test.my_context, and
/ns2/test.my_context/Echo.Object.

This doesn't work, however!

Here's what I do:

>nameclt bind ns2 IOR:<IOR of ns2 root>

>nameclt list

test1.my_context/                   #ns 2 root bound correctly
ns2

>nameclt list ns2

test2.my_context                    #contents of ns2 root displayed correctly

>nameclt list ns2/test.my_context   #ns2 embedded context is not recognized as a context, however

list: NotFound exception: not context

>nameclt -ior IOR:<IOR of ns2 root> list test.my_context

Echo.Object                          # but accessing directly on ns2 is OK

Is this a bug in omniORB, or am I doing something wrong here?

I'd be grateful for any response.

Best regards,

Carsten Agger,
TietoEnator A/S, Denmark