[omniORB] A beginners question...

Rupp Peter - prupp Peter.Rupp at acxiom.com
Wed Nov 5 14:24:04 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm entering the world of Corba programming and wanted to ask your group
if it is "ok" to ask some very basic conceptual questions....ones that
are not usually found easily in books?

Thank you in advance!  Here goes...

*	Can Corba accommodate the following?   I have a need to
advertise an object instance via CORBA, whereby (depending upon which
method and arguments are invoked),  may return simple primitives
(strings, ints, arrays, etc), or sometimes act like an object factory,
that is...to dynamically create various object instances (of possibly
differing types), that are also referenced remotely by the CORBA client.
I've read a lot of how a corba object is defined via IDL, then client
and server stubs are created, (that is, statically at compile time), but
I am unaware if the CORBA specification allows for corba object
instances to act as a factory, creating objects, then returning a
reference to them.    Right now, I want to keep the object on the
server, but return a reference

*	If the above concepts  possible, are there standard/defined ways
the client can learn of the methods (and argument types) available in
the new object reference?  (called introspection?)

*	I'm fairly certain that data returned from corba objects must be
of specific types defined in the IDL, that is primitives (strings, ints,
floats, etc), and some collection types (arrays, lists, etc)......but no
serialized objects.   In other words, I don't think CORBA has a notion
of a generic object type that is movable (via serialization) from ORB to
ORB.   Is this correct? (or am I horribly mistaken?)

*	If the above concepts  possible, are there standard/defined ways
the client can learn of the methods (and argument types) available in
the new object reference?  (called introspection?)

*	Again, if this is all possible, does the CORBA-specifications
(or even implementations) provide a means to specify and identify the
life-span of  objects (dynamic or otherwise).  In other words, can an
objects lifespan be defined by some set of rules or parameters?  For
instance, if an object was created dynamically, would it be possible to
set it's lifetime to 1) the lifetime of the TCP connection between
client/server? 2) lifetime due to inactivity, 3) lifetime due to
infrequent use, or any other constraint?   I do not hear much about how
objects are retired or collected on the server.

*	Is it normal for Corba clients and ORBS to communicate on top of
TLS/SSL to help keep the network secure a little?  I don't hear much
talk on this subject either.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long description  - largely
due to my inexperience with the technology.

Knd regards,

PEter

\

a  reference to new object instances (of possibly different types).
I'm not sure if a corba object implementation is permitted (in existing
CORBA technology) to create )

intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
legally privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank you.