[omniORB] Abrupt unbinding of OMNI name servers

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Sat May 3 14:30:11 BST 2008

On Friday 2 May, "vishnu vardhan" wrote:

[...]
>    a) unbind call is made from the process registered to the name server is
> made only when it comes down. In this case, even though the processes are
> running, we are seeing that the unbind happens abruptly.
>    b) Another possibility we thought of is the use of nameclt to unbind the
> sessions. We are sure that this not being done.
>    c) Another possibility we heard of is the file system where the log files
> are situated become full. There are no such problems here.
>
> Q1) What are the possible reasons for such a behaviour? We have seen the
> similar scenario in HP-UX and Linux Os's using omniORB. Apart from the
> processes getting binded to name server AND the nameclt tool, nny other
> tools/processes can do this unbinding?

Any process is in a position to call unbind on the naming service and
remove the bindings. There is nothing in omniNames that will
automatically remove a binding, so something in your environment is
doing it.

> Q2) Will any system resource like memory/network/disks problem result in
> this type of this issue?

No.

> Q3) How do we identify which application/process is doing this unbinding
> activity if its not happening abruptly?

Run omniNames with command line options

 -ORBtraceLevel 25 -ORBtraceInvocations 1 -ORBtraceThreadId 1 -ORBtraceTime 1

That will show you loads of data about what's going on, including
showing the incoming address and port of calls to unbind. That should
help you track it down.