[omniORB] heap corruption in debug build

Andrew Buza apt.buza at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:01:53 BST 2008

I'm using omniORB-4.1.0 in a DLL built with msvc 2005 (8.0). I'm
getting the messages "Heap block at 242BA858 modified at  past
requested size of 64" and "Invalid Address specified to
RtlValidateHeap( 03080000, 242BA860 )" and hitting a breakpoint in
_RtlIsValidHeapPointer when CORBA objects are deleted .

I understand that this is usually the result of mixing DLLs using
different run-time libraries, but I've checked to make sure that my
project is set to use the /MDd (multithreaded debug DLL) flag, and
that I'm linking to the debug versions of the omniORB libraries.

It only happens occasionally, and I haven't found a way to
consistently reproduce the problem. Is it possible that the host
application could be causing this? I see calls into it on the call
stack between the exit of one of my functions and 'operator delete' in
msvcr80d.dll.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Even knowing that it isn't
an issue with omniORB itself (and is instead, e.g., a configuration
problem) would be helpful.