[omniORB] RE: client publishes localhost (127.0.0.1) when listening on hostname

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Jun 10 15:35:57 BST 2008

On Tuesday 10 June, "Igor Lautar" wrote:

> It seams specifying both endPoints (giop:tcp:0.0.0.0:23230 &
> giop:tcp:<HOSTNAME>:23230) was the culprint. Because 0.0.0.0 was first
> in list, IPs were being published. So in case where there were multiple
> IPs, wrong one could be provided. We preffer hostnames (as client can
> then resolve IP, depending on which subnet is located etc.), so we had
> to change ordering of endPoints during initialization.
>
> We've just moved giop:tcp:<HOSTNAME>:23230 before giop:tcp:0.0.0.0:23230
> during initialization and now hostname is being published in IORs.

That's because the default publishing rule is to publish just one
address. Your server is presumably starting before the network
interfaces are initialised, meaning only the loopback is available when
omniORB looks.

For what you are trying to achieve, you should actually specify just one
endPoint, and use endPointPublish to publish the address. You should use
this setup:

  endPoint = giop:tcp:0.0.0.0:23230
  endPointPublish = giop:tcp:<hostname>:23230