[omniORB] Patch for autoconf build on AIX with GCC

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:01:18 BST 2008

Hello

We wanted to build omniORB on AIX v5.3 using gcc.  This proved
slightly more involved then I hoped for since the autoconf build seems
to assume the IBM XL C/C++ compiler but in the end I got it working.
Attached are the changes I needed to make to the build system for this
to work.  This was done against omniORB 4.1.2 using gcc 4.2.0 on AIX
5L v5.3 (4/2008).

There is one issue I know of (well, sort of - it could be an issue for
other people):
The CLINKOPTIONS and CXXLINKOPTIONS do set an explicit LIBPATH (==
RPATH on system-V style systems) as does the
SharedLibraryPlatformLinksFlagsTemplate.  This is required for the
runtime linker to find the omniORB libraries in their configured
prefix locations.  But it does overwrite the version of LIBPATH gcc
would otherwise have put in there.  This means all shared libraries
and executables will not find libgcc_s.a and libstdc++.a unless they
are installed in /lib, /usr/lib or $(prefix)/lib.  Only there is one
exception...!
_omniidlmodule.so.4.1 does not need to be linked to any of omniORB's
libraries so did not need the explicit -blibpath setting in it's
linker command.  This means gcc will pick up the libgcc_s.a and
libstdc++.a from their original locations (e.g.
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/4.2.0 depending on your
gcc installation).
It is well possible that there is a way to set an additional LIBPATH
on top of the one gcc would use by default.  If so do let me know as
that would be better behaviour!

Anyway, I think it would be really nice if this patch could be
included, it may help others.  If I made any errors or failed to
follow some convention or something else is not good enough I'll be
glad to make corrections.  But I hope this can be helpful.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom