[omniORB] Sequence memory management performance improvement

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Tue Jul 29 13:22:19 BST 2008

On Saturday 19 July, "Dirk O. Siebnich" wrote:

> I have removed the magic number checks in sequence buffer alloc and
> free, plus I have improved the efficiency of the copybuffer functions by
> removing the double initializations. This should improve the performance
> of sequence operations, at the expense of not logging an error when
> buffers are mixed between different sequence types - which I don't think
> is a real issue.

You are right that there's no real need for those. The checks were added
when we did the CORBA compliance testing years ago, because the
compliance tests tested giving invalid pointers to the buffer management
functions. That kind of bug ought to be caught by memory checking tools
rather than by omniORB.

Having said that, have you actually seen that code as a bottleneck in
profiling?  I've not seen it appear in the profiling I've done.

> The patch is against the current CVS of omniORB 4.1, what do you all
> think? I haven't given any thought to whether this breaks the ABI or not

I think it breaks the ABI, so it can't go in 4.1.x. It'll have to wait
for 4.2.x.