[omniORB] operator * for _var types?

Michael Teske mteske-csk at t-online.de
Wed Jul 23 17:40:06 BST 2008

Hi!

Hopefully this hasn't been asked again, but I can't get google to search
explicitly for "operator*", it always gives hits for "operator"...

While trying to port code from an other orb to omniorb I encountered the following
problem. Suppose we have this IDL:

module X {
   struct Y {
     string Name;
   };
};

and this code:

#include <xx.hh>

int main ()
{
   X::Y_var f = new X::Y();
   X::Y y = *f; // error, no operator *

   return 0;
}

I always get the "no operator *" error message on the indicated line. The other
orb in question does provide such an operator and in my corba book i see it
mentioned, too.

I know I could write X::Y y = f, but this would mean changing a LOT of code, which
I'd like to avoid. Is there any reason this operator is not there or is this a bug?

Greetings,
   Michael