[omniORB] Client-server transactions on local host

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jul 4 19:02:36 BST 2008

On Thursday 3 July, "Tom O'Reilly" wrote:

> Does OmniORB-4 implement transport via shared memory for local-host
> client-server transactions? I've seen notes about this as a potential new
> feature in the mail archives, but nothing since 2001 or so.
>
> I ask not because I think shared memory is necessarily "better" than TCP
> loopback, but rather to get a better understanding of OmniORB's
> implementation.

On Unix platforms, there is a Unix domain socket transport, which is
significantly faster than the TCP loopback.

There is no shared memory transport. Previous experiments with that
showed that the signalling overhead affected performance to the extent
that it was not noticeably better than Unix sockets or TCP.