[omniORB] Re: Linker issues with Borland 5

Gordan Sikic gordan.sikic at uscs.hr
Thu Jul 3 15:38:51 BST 2008

Hi,

> I gave that a try but got the following:
> Borland Implib Version 3.0.22 Copyright (c) 1991, 2000 Inprise Corporation
> Name: 'omniORB412_vc8_rt' Ext: '.dll' Base: 0x00000000
> Name: 'OMNIORB412_VC8_RT.DLL' Ext: '.dll' Base: 0x00000000
> Error omniORB412_vc8_rt.def(4): Invalid character in .DEF file
>
> The problem seems to be that the OmniORB4 DLLs contain mangled/decorated
> symbols. I can generate Borland import libraries for omniORB4.dll and
> omnitthread.dll, but the symbols in that are also mangled, hence the
> disconnect between the undecorated function calls in the source and the
> mangled ones in the import library.

You are obviously using precompiled dll's for VC8 with bcc32. Since M$
and Borland use different mangling schemes, it is not generally possible
to use MS compiled DLL's containing C++ API with Borland compiler.

Implib will not help you, for the same reason. On the other hand, for
DLL's containing C interface only, implib does excellent job.

I'd suggest to download complete sources, and compile *everything* using
Borland compiler.

best regards,
Gordan