[omniORB] HPUX unable to create an endpoint

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Jan 18 14:36:58 GMT 2008

On Thursday 17 January, "Joe Lee" wrote:

> We are also seeing an issue on HPUX 11.11 with omniORB 4.1.1 where
> running the sample echo program eg2_impl gives:
>
> omniORB: Error: Unable to create an endpoint of this description:
> giop:tcp::0
>
> Caught CORBA::INITIALIZE
>
> This is on a system that isn't on an IPv6 network.
>
> So we can get it to work when we run with -ORBendPoint giop:tcp:0.0.0.0:

When you don't specify an explicit address, omniORB first calls
getaddrinfo() with a family of PF_UNSPEC and flags AI_PASSIVE, to get
the protocol family and socket address it should use. Then it uses the
family as an argument to socket(), followed by a call to bind() giving
the socket and the address return by getaddrinfo(). If any of those
things fail, you will get the error you see.

The first stage to track it down is to instrument
src/lib/omniORB/orbcore/tcp/tcpEndpoint.cc, in the Bind() method, to log
at what stage the failure occurs. That will narrow down what it is that
HPUX doesn't like.