[omniORB] Running Example Echo for omniORB-4.1.1

charles bartlett csbartlett at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 22:25:13 GMT 2008

When I do what you suggest, after the final make command - I get a
message asking me to make a selection in "../../../config/config.mk to
select the appropriate platform" and the build stops.

This is not surprising since I was doing a make in src/examples/echo
before and typically make files are setup to recursively make
subdirectories and I observed the same message prior to making a
selection when I built in ././echo.

What is surprising is that my installation seems to be working properly:
a). I installed omniORB4.1.1 and omniORBpy which uses it; then I used
the .py examples and they worked
b). I didn't see any errors on the install following the commands you
provided below
c). I actually did get the echo examples to work using omniORB4.1.1,
i.e. C++ by doing make -n eg2 in echo and duplicating (by hand) the
build commands  it generated with replacements based upon where things
really are in my installation; also eg2_clt and echo_srv.py worked
together showing C++ to python omniORB/omniORBpy compatibility

Given that I can build the examples for omniORB, I am less concerned
about the failure of make for the examples as you suggested. However, it
would be convenient if it was working.

A suggestion: it seems natural to derive programs using omniORB from the
examples. For the Python case, it is very easy to do so. For C++, one
most likely would like to quickly divorce from your build system.
However, the set of make files is fairly involved. Perhaps you could add
a comment to your documentation where you state how to easily extract
the build steps for any given example, including switches, libraries
used etc. One can dig it out, as I did, but it took me a few hours. You
make some comments along these lines in your installation notes, but a
user would really like a quick and easy way to duplicate the commands to
build any of the examples.

Thanks for any further comments on the above.