[omniORB] A multi-thread question

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Jan 2 12:03:10 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 December, =?GBK?B?wt4=?= wrote:

> Dear Duncan, Thanks for your reply. As you said omniORB just use
> 'manually' and explicitly activated servants(one or more) to service
> all incoming concurrent requests. So, what isthe good to use thread
> pool? I mean, all concurrent requests must wait inqueue for the
> servants to be idle, which is just like all concurrentrequests waiting
> on the same connection or the same thread.

I think you have your terminology confused.

A servant is just a programming language object. Multiple threads can
call a single servant's methods at the same time. There is no queue
waiting for a servant to become free -- if two calls for a particular
object come in at the same time, methods on the servant are called
concurrently.

I suggest you read the free online book "CORBA explained simply" by
Ciaran McHale, which explains all the terminology well:

  http://www.ciaranmchale.com/corba-explained-simply/