[omniORB] Re: Invald nativeCharCodeSet ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8

Jonathan Biggar jon at levanta.com
Mon Feb 4 16:18:23 GMT 2008

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 April, balexander wrote:
>
>> I have recently built and installed omniOrb 4.0.7 on my machine (Intel based
>> Fedora 4). I did not have any problems getting omniOrb to build and install
>> but I can not get the examples to run. Specifically I am trying to get the
>> very first echo example to run. I have no problem building it but whenever I
>> run the executable I get the following:
>>
>> ----
>> omniORB: ORB_Init failed: Bad parameter (ISO-8859-1) for ORB configuration
>> option nativeCharCodeSet, reason: Unknown code set name
>
> This is a sign that the static initialisers in the omniORB library have
> not run. Are you statically linking your program?  If so, try
> dynamically linking it instead.

BTW, if you really need statically linked binaries, like we did, you can
solve this by adding these options to your link command (exact values
depend on the particular OS/linker you are using and how it mangles
symbols--this example is for gcc and gnu linker on Linux):

	-u _omni_CS_8859_1_should_be_linked_but_is_not_ \
	-u _omni_CS_UTF_8_should_be_linked_but_is_not_ \
	-u _omni_CS_UTF_16_should_be_linked_but_is_not_

--
Jon Biggar
Levanta
jon at levanta.com