[omniORB] Re: 3 questions about CORBA, IIOP, and omniORB

Jon Biggar jon at biggar.org
Wed Dec 17 09:57:18 GMT 2008

Thomas Zumbiehl wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> So, first question : I there any kind of way omniORB could delete an
> omniRemoteIdentity where it should not, or is it possible that it is
> displaying wrong information ?
> The fact is that the same sequence occurs at both one of the two
> failures. And omniORB says, two times, that the omniRemoteIdentity is
> deleted, while there should be only one holded (set earlier in the
> application) ?

My best guess is that you have a reference count management error on an
object reference that you want to use.

> Second question : What is the meaning of the 28 bytes chunk sent ? It
> seems to be understood as a reply to the getSelectResult() request...

Yes.

> Third question : My server needs to hold interfaces for a while, but
> those need to be deactivated while they are not used (I use a close()
> request to tell an interface that it can be destroyed). How should I
> handle the servant activation/deactivation ?
> For now, I use the POA's activate_object() and deactivate_object()
> methods, but I am now thinking I can be wrong.
> For instance, I know that calling the _this() method on a servant will
> automaticaly activate it, but how can I deactivate it ?

I'd recommend reading "Advanced CORBA Programming with C++" by Henning
and Vinoski.  They have an extensive section about server design and
policy selection that answers your questions.

--
Jon Biggar
jon at biggar.org
jon at floorboard.com