[omniORB] Keep connections alive

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Fri Dec 12 16:51:56 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 9 December, "Thomas Zumbiehl" wrote:

> I have two servers that should keep the connection alive for as long as both
> of them are running.
> Is there a setting in the ORB parameters that allows connections to be kept
> opened ?

Why do you ask?  At an application level, connections are transparent in
CORBA.

You can prevent omniORB from closing idle connections by setting
inConScanGranularity or outConScanGranularity to zero, to affect
incoming or outgoing connections respectively.

If you are using bidirectional GIOP, omniORB automatically holds
bidirectional connections open while there are callback object
references present.

Neither of these things will prevent connections being closed by the
operating system because of transient network errors, so you still have
to make your application robust against connection failures.