[omniORB] Callback objects not working with corba server on vmware

Martin Trappel 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Wed Dec 10 08:48:26 GMT 2008

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have found that ping is not exactly helpful with CORBA. Have you tried
>> other TCP/IP connections on the required ports?
>>
>> How do you setup the initial connection btw. Server and client?
>
> The problem is that the client as more then one IP (one "real" network
> interface and two VMWare interfaces). The server runs on VMWare and has only
> one IP.
>
> Calling a function on the server works fine, but the server cannot call the
> callback object. When I disable the "real" network interface, everything works
> fine.
>
> Someone at work suggested to me that making the client use DNS names instead
> of IPs solves the problem. The client is written in Java and it is using Sun's
> default ORB. Unfortunately I did not find any option to make it use DNS names
> instead of IPs. Does, by chance, somebody have an idea if this is possible
> with Sun's ORB? JacORB does have this option, maybe I should try this one
> instead of Sun's ORB? (Omniorb for the client is no option because the client
> is written in Java).

With omniORB you would use the options
-ORBendPoint to tell the orb to listen (and publish) only on this
endpoint, -ORBendPointPublish to tell the orb to publish only this
endpoint (but listen on all)
and -ORBendPointNoPublish to specifically not publish an endpoint

I have never worked with a JAVA ORB, but I would guess there should be
some similar options ...

br,
Martin