[omniORB] Callback objects not working with corba server on vmware

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at ph.tum.de
Tue Dec 9 21:53:22 GMT 2008

Hi,

> I have found that ping is not exactly helpful with CORBA. Have you tried
> other TCP/IP connections on the required ports?
>
> How do you setup the initial connection btw. Server and client?

The problem is that the client as more then one IP (one "real" network
interface and two VMWare interfaces). The server runs on VMWare and has only
one IP.

Calling a function on the server works fine, but the server cannot call the
callback object. When I disable the "real" network interface, everything works
fine.

Someone at work suggested to me that making the client use DNS names instead
of IPs solves the problem. The client is written in Java and it is using Sun's
default ORB. Unfortunately I did not find any option to make it use DNS names
instead of IPs. Does, by chance, somebody have an idea if this is possible
with Sun's ORB? JacORB does have this option, maybe I should try this one
instead of Sun's ORB? (Omniorb for the client is no option because the client
is written in Java).

Greetings,
Michael