[omniORB] Callback objects not working with corba server on vmware

Martin Trappel 0xCDCDCDCD at gmx.at
Tue Dec 9 08:26:23 GMT 2008

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hello,
> (...)
>
> I am trying to debug this problem. For debugging I want to run the telemetry
> processing application as a VMWare image on my computer. My computer (the host)
> runs Windows Vista, the telemetry processing application is running under Suse
> Linux Enterprice Server 10 (the guest). I set up host-only networking and added
> the hostnames to /etc/hosts and c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. I can
> ping from the host to the guest using both IPs and names and I can also ping
> from the guest to the host using IPs and names.

I have found that ping is not exactly helpful with CORBA. Have you tried
other TCP/IP connections on the required ports?

How do you setup the initial connection btw. Server and client?

> My application can connect to the telemetry processing application and register
> parameters, but as soon as the telemetry processing application calls my
> callback object it throws a corba.transient.exception: Exception when notifying
> the client:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/TRANSIENT:1.0". I tried to turn off the Windows
> Vista firewall but this did not solve the problem either. Running the VMWare
> image under Windows XP or Debian works just fine. My application can connect,
> register parameters and gets updates (the server can call the callback object).
> Thus this seems to be a Windows Vista issue. Unfortunately I have to use
> Windows Vista at work. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

No idea. But you should set the -ORBtraceLevel to 25 on the server side
and see if you can get anything more specific from the logging output.

br,
Martin