[omniORB] upgrading from omniORB 2.8.0 to 4.1.1

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Wed Aug 13 16:22:05 BST 2008

On Monday 4 August, "Zinger, Cherry" wrote:

> 1) With omniORB2, we stored data that had been serialized with
> MemBufferedStream.  Can this data be read by cdrMemoryStream?
> Or must we reimplement MemBufferedStream to read the old data?

Yes, you can read the data with cdrMemoryStream. The code should be
almost identical to the code you used with MemBufferedStream.

> 2) We'd like to preserve our code using omniild's -Wbold option.
> However, many of our output parameters are sequences, so the
> option has no effect.  Given IDL like:
>
>   struct FOO { long oneField; };
>   typedef sequence < FOO >  FOO_SEQ;
>   interface IFoo { long GetFoos( out FOO_SEQ results ); };
>
> Is there a way to generate:
>
>   virtual ::CORBA::Long GetFoos(FOO_SEQ *& results) = 0;
>
> Rather than:
>
>   virtual ::CORBA::Long GetFoos(FOO_SEQ_out results) = 0;

That's a limitation in the code generation. It certainly could be fixed,
but I haven't looked into it in enough depth to see how much work it
would be.

Is there anyone out there using -Wbold with out arguments who would be
affected if the signature for out arguments changed?