[omniORB] omniORB-4.0.7 crash on Windows 2k server

Igor Lautar igor.lautar at hermes-softlab.com
Fri Sep 21 16:26:34 BST 2007

Hi All,

We are experiencing omniORB crash when narrowing to specific interface.
Crash only occurs on win32 windows 2k machines with Active Directory
installed It could also be that we have only experienced it on these,
but 1000+ others work fine, including mix of XP, 'normal' 2k etc.

Crash occurs inside _narrow call. This is not the first such call during
binary life, a number of connects and other function calls are done.

These are the last lines in omniORB debugs:
[01936 21 03:23:38.292] D    3 omniORB: Creating ref to remote:
key<cmgrServer>
  target id      : IDL:omg.org/CORBA/Object:1.0
  most derived id:
[01936 21 03:23:38.292] D    3 omniORB: Invoke '_is_a' on remote:
key<cmgrServer>

This is with trace level set to 20. Increasing it to 40 does not produce
any more output (at this particular call, before the crash).

IDL for cmgrServer is not special in any way, and it works fine in all
other cases. No similar crash occurs on any other calls, to any other
interface.

Crash is an access violation. I was able to produce a stack trace with
instrumented binaries, however, I've managed to do this only once. As
far as I recall, crash was inside omnithread32.dll. I'll try to produce
dump file and get more info on this matter.

omniORB was build with VC8, w/o SP1.

Is this a known problem in 4.0.7?

Thank you for your help,
Igor