[omniORB] OmniORB 4.1.0 API backwards compatibility

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:20:58 BST 2007

Hello Matej

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 04:42:11PM +0200, Matej Kenda wrote:
> The API is not completely backwards compatible. Details about the
> changes are listed in release notes
> http://omniorb.cvs.sourceforge.net/omniorb/omni/ReleaseNotes.txt?revision=1.1.2.9&view=markup&pathrev=omni4_1_develop

I did notice that, but could not make out if it was just a change from
the beta to the final releas, or also affected a 4.0.x -> 4.1.x
transition.  I.e. if it was a change in a part of the API only added
in the 4.1 branch then it doesn't affect the stable release
transitions.

> I have already worked on debian packaging for 4.1.x. I have modified
> Ubuntu Feisty Fawn packaging files for 4.0.6.
>
> Please find attached the modified files.

Cool, did you check out the packages I made earlier (as announced on
this list on 30 May 2007) too?  They did a lot of the things already
and a few more.  In particular they close a few bugs in the Debian BTS
and rename a few binary packages as you can't do an ABI (new soname)
transition withouth changing package names.  Also if the API indeed
changed then the entire package will need to be change to reflect
this, i.e. you can't call it omniorb4 anymore.

But as I said, currently we're working on updating the packages in
Debian at [1], so you can check out the svn archive at [2] as it
contains even more improvements.  Feel free to check it out and
contribute if you find problems with it or find things you did better!
You can always contact us on the pkg-corba mailing list.

Regards
Floris

[1] http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-corba/
[2] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-corba

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom